There’s no one who’s going to deny that Facebook has moved to a ‘pay-to-play’ model. Even Facebook gurus like Mari Smith have agreed that they have seen a decrease in reach. In the past, marketers have tried to ‘game’ the system. For example…
Facebook shows pictures more than strictly text updates so every update was a picture of some kind. Then it appeared that brands’ text updates were being shown more, so the switch was made to do more of that…
What I’m going to suggest you do, instead, may blow your mind… and it may not make the powers that be (who are interested in metrics) very happy. But what I suggest is that you stop worrying so much about the vanity metrics like “Talking About This.” <gasp> Yeah, I know it’s hard to do since it seems like it’s ingrained in us.
Instead, focus on creating EPIC content that your fans will WANT to share. I have listed below 20 different types of content that will help to get your fans engaged.
- Funny pictures, related to your business or otherwise.
- Fill in the blank statements that are fun and easy to answer.
- Tips and tricks related to your business in some way, even indirectly.
- Motivational quotes.
- Funny quotes.
- Beautiful, eye-catching images (especially good if you take them yourself of your clients or your business).
- Personal stuff that allows people to get to know you better.
- Insightful infographics that provide value to them.
- Well written, informative articles that provide value to them (seeing a pattern here?).
- News and tips from events you attend.
- Fun questions.
- Funny videos.
- Anything controversial (you may not want to go here, depending on your brand, but controversial news stories can really get people talking).
- Tips for new tools that your fans would find useful.
- Instgram pictures from your desk or wherever you’re working.
- Movie recommendations.
- Recommendations for services/pages to follow for great content.
- Deals and special offers, because isn’t this the reason everyone really follows a brand?
Visit my free Facebook group for more tips to grow your business on social media.